There have been settlements in the area for thousands of years. Evidence has been found of Roman occupation and on the downs above the village there is a Neolithic Long Barrow and a number of Tumulae in the surrounding area.
Above Breamore wood is a Miz-maze surrounded by a Yew and Hazel woodland, although in ancient times this would have been chalk down land and has been designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It is a circular labyrinth, about 84 feet in diameter and formed of eleven concentric rings. Acccording to tradition, monks used the maze for their penances, painfully traversing it on their knees.
The village of Breamore was originally a settlement known as 'Brumore', and probably originated around the middle of the Saxon period, in the area of North Street and the church.
Around 1130 AD, the Priory was founded on the west bank of the Avon and over the next two centuries acquired about half of the houses and land in the village. The remainder was retained by the Earls of Devon as Lords of the Manor of Breamore and they built a substantial manor house near the church.
The settlement gradually spread south and eastwards as new groups of houses appeared around the Marsh and by the Mill, such that by 1300 AD the village contained around fifty dwellings.
Houses remained predominantly medieval in style until the end of the 16th century, when the great ‘Tudor rebuild’ commenced. In 1748 the estate was purchased by Sir Edward Hulse, whose family has retained Breamore House, the Lordship of the Manor of Breamore and land in the area.